In 1907 the Machinery Palace was built in Prague’s Stromovka Park, where exhibitions and fairs were held. This tradition also took place during the First Republic under the name “Prague Sample Fairs”, which were of great international importance and took place every year.
After the end of the Second World War in May 1945, the fairs were held in 1946 and 1947, after which they were moved to Brno. Large buildings in the Prague Exhibition Grounds were emptied, which had not been used for years.
The Government Resolution of 2 December 1952 on the Development of Physical Education and Sport, newly established by the State Committee for Physical Education and Sport, was ordered to ensure project and budget documentation and readiness to modify the Machinery Palace at the Old Exhibition Grounds in Prague.
The original building of the Machinery Palace consisted of three ships with a span of 15, 35 and 15 meters and a width of 65 meters. The 90-meter length of the palace was divided at 18 meters by steel truss frames with a height of 28 meters. The ice hockey field would fit into the central nave with an area of 35 x 60 m if the two-sided stands were not required at the same time. These could be realized by simultaneously removing three lattice frames of steel structure and replacing them with a new steel structure over a span of 60 m guaranteeing transparency from the stands to the ice surface.
On this problem all design variants failed, designing was limited (1954) to canceled (1957). In 1958, the project of the Sports Hall Ing. J. Bendík and Ing. V. Horak, CSc. consisting of covering the entire width of the building of the Machinery Palace (65 m) with a cylindrical steel orthotropic shell with the addition of outer ships with a width of 17 meters in lengths of 100 meters. The old steel structure was used for the assembly of the shell structure.
The new steel structure of the Sports Hall was used for dismantling the steel structure of the Machinery Palace. The horizontal reactions of the shell were captured by a space system of rods crossing the central space of the hall together with their footbridge, air-conditioning products and electrical installation of ice surface illumination, all enclosed in a dural structure designed by the authors of the Sports Hall. Arch. Krásný) and realized by the designer AVIA Letňany Ing. Holubcem.
For the first time, the ČSTV Sports Hall was opened on March 7, 1962 for the Ice Skating Review of the Czechoslovak Figure Skating Ensemble. On March 14, 1962, the World Figure Skating Championships were already held in the hall. After that, Sparta hockey matches were played in the Sports Hall, which played the 1st league and was already moved in.
The auditorium in the Sports Hall has a capacity of 14,080 seats. For 1978, Czechoslovakia was commissioned by the International Federation to organize the Ice Hockey World Championship. However, two ice surfaces were interconnected. Czechoslovak Ice Hockey Association in cooperation with the Prague City Hall Prague began to build a second ice surface connected to the Sports Hall through a tunnel. At that time, the Czechoslovak Ice Hockey Association had its offices at ČSTV, which was based in Prague 1, Na Poříčí 12.
In order not to be cut off from the World Championships by the organization, the association built offices adjoined to the Sports Hall, where Sparta now operates. At the same time a restaurant was built. Sparta was subleased in the Sports Hall with the approval of ČSTV according to the contract concluded between Sparta and Sports Hall. The problem was that it often happened that the Sports Hall was often blocked for an attractive event that brought profit to ČSTV.
And so it happened that Sparta had to play her league games in Štvanice, where she sometimes trained (before the second ice rink was built). This situation also affected youth cooperatives commuting in Prague to Štvanice, Nikolajka, but also outside Prague, namely to Popovice, Kralupy and Mělník.
In 1990, Sparta was able to negotiate with the Prague City Hall. After a series of meetings, the Sparta hockey team was lived and received the Sports Hall from the City Hall for 30 years. Sparta thus gained a home environment. Since 2015 Sparta has played its home games in the O2 arena, but the Sports Hall remains its training background.